What better way to break a self-imposed blogging exile than to write about something that I have no idea about? The ‘Position Paper’, a leaked ICC draft about proposed changes to the structure and governance of the game internationally has sent the cricket world into a tizzy over the last few days. Journalists, administrators and even players have had their say on the issue, which has been roundly criticized as a naked power grab by the BCCI, with its two sidekicks in CA and ECB along for the ride. These were my first thoughts when the story broke out…
1. What kind of name is ‘Position Paper’ for a draft?
2. How did the Big Three think they could even get away with this?
3. Even by BCCI’s standards, this is preposterously ballsy. It’s as if Srini and co are seeing how far they can go…
Ultimately, we should have seen this coming. Most administrators, if not all, look after their own interests; and that is precisely what these three cricket boards are doing. Now, I am not particularly nuanced with details of finances and administration matters pertaining to the ICC and thus I am not going to attempt to explain this latest outrage; what I do care about is how this will affect me as a cricket fan. Will I still be able to follow high quality cricket between different teams? Will I still be able to follow my favorite cricketer in action in Tests? Will this finally put an end to the overkill of India vs Sri Lanka ODIs?
The following is a selection of my favorite articles on the ‘Position Paper’. These helped me to get a clearer picture of what international cricket is going to face in the coming months; and these are all that you need to read on the whole matter.
- My all time favorite cricket writer Jarrod Kimber in, “Tell the administrators you’re watching them“
- Harsha Bhogle on how the “Decision to run cricket according to commercial interests will cause inequity”
- Russell Degnan on “Cashing out the future of cricket”
- “And then there were three” by Sharda Ugra
- Devanshu Mehta’s “The End Game”
- Kartikeya Date asks “What is the ECB, CA and BCCI’s Game?”